Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Declo Celebrates 100 Years!

What is Declo you ask??? It's a small town in Idaho where Jim grew up. We went up there this weekend to the celebration and to quote Jim, he said "I don't think I've EVER seen that many people in town before." There was even a traffic jam after the parade! LOL

On Friday night everyone met at the new High School and watched a presentation on how Declo may have gotten it's name. Several suggestions/theories were given. After the presentation, we sang Happy Birthday to Declo, then cake and ice cream were served. We spent most of the time visiting with cousins of Jim's that we hadn't seen for a while. I didn't take pictures on Friday.

Saturday morning, we got there for the parade. For a small town, I thought the parade was great!The start of the parade
The Darrington family even had an entry in the parade...
The 3 original brothers that settled in Declo were represented by descendants from each line. I know I only married into this family, but it was very touching to me. Jim comes from John & Marie, and that was his cousin Stephen there in the front of the wagon.
We thought this float was very nice and after it passed by....
we found it was from Intermountain Healthcare....who Jim works for....that made it a bit more special.
There were flags, cars, old and new (did you notice Bumblebee?), tractors and military vehicles, floats and fire trucks! We had a great time.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

The question is........did they throw candy?

I love small town parades. I love it when the fire truck goes by dumping candy from one end of main street to the other. THAT is a parade.

I miss the small town parades where I grew up.

Diana said...

Of course they threw out candy! At first Xander didn't understand what was going on, but by the end of the parade he had it all figured out.