Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Boy and his Buddy

Xander and his cat are the best buddies. They are almost the same age. The cat is actually a few months older than Xander. Weebie is the cat's name. There's a story there....Ashley was looking through a baby name book for names for her baby, and came across the name of Weebie...for a BOY! Shortly after that, she was given permission to get a cat and lucky for us, Tuinei's had kittens...we had a new kitten that night! So she was trying to think of a name for the cat, and she jokingly said she would name it Weebie. I told her NO! She said it was either her cat or her baby that would get that name....I opted for the cat! Hopefully Xander will thank me some day...LOL.

Okay, back to the Buddies. Ever since Xander was born, this cat has been fascinated with him. When he started to scoot and crawl, Weebie was right there with him. Xander loved the cat as well, and was always rolling up on the cat and Weebie would just let him. If it got to be too much Weebie would run off, but she is VERY tolerant of Xander.
From the very beginning....I know people worry about cats suffocating babies, but that was never a concern, Weebie always stayed at the bottom....away from Xander's neck.
It's almost like Weebie is staking her claim... "Um, This is MINE!"
Xander, rolling up on Weebie. It was okay until Xander got to big.
Just playing...but don't worry, Weebie has been declawed. I know some people think that is awful, but my furniture and grandkids look much better this way.
I LOVE this picture. They were ACTUALLY playing together. Weebie kept hitting the sides of the tunnel and Xander would just laugh and try to get it.
Xander would tackle Weebie....Weebie doesn't look very happy about it, but she could get away if she really wanted to. She never did.

The other day we had a visitor and we were sitting on the back deck and Xander and Weebie were playing in the backyard. YES! Actually PLAYING together in the backyard. Xander would chase Weebie, and Weebie would run. Then Xander would start walking away, and now Weebie would chase Xander. I wish I would have taken pictures. They have always been that way, but even I was surprised to see this outside. There is a special bond between them. So much so, that they sleep together...which isn't all that strange, but it's funny the positions I find them in. I started to take pictures of this as I find it quite humorous. I hope you enjoy them as well.

Xander and Weebie asleep.
I'm not sure WHO'S idea this one was, but Xander is sound asleep.
And this one made me laugh out loud to find Xander sleeping crosswise in the bed. Weebie was just fine.

A Boy and his Buddy...a truly special bond.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay now! I need to show Brian this post. Brian thinks cats are the devils spawn. He was raised that cats are eeevil. I keep trying to tell him that the cat I grew up with is just like Xander's cat. Since being married we've had three cats and every one of them truly have been Satan's spawn so Brian STILL thinks a good cat does not exist. See??? They do!

amber schmidt said...

Awww! So Cute.